Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Truly Beautiful Girl

You've always been a girl,
whether we've talked in days,
weeks, months
whom I have always considered
to be one of my most cherished friends
Since I first knew you when we were still drinking from sippy cups
and watching Sesame Street
through the awkward, chocolate-filled innocence that was adolescence,
until now, sixteen years later when things are much more complicated.
You've always had an encouraging word.

The thing I admire most about you now, however
is the complete lack of fear you show
when you say the words "I'm in love".
I'm so happy for the two of you. I can't express it.
The love I see in your eyes is the most genuine thing I've seen in a long time.
And the way he talks about you, I just know that his eyes are shining the same light.

It's such a rare thing these days,
to see young people happily, unabashedly in love.
That's the most beautiful thing on this planet to me right now.
Your love gives me hope.

So, anyway, I thought you should know
Just being your beautiful self is enough to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment