Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This is the strangest poem I've ever written.

Every time I go over a speed bump,
I hear the ching of my tambourine
and the clink of a dozen bottles in the backseat
picked up from places where they just shouldn't be
and then forgotten.

What do I want to be when I grow up?
Who says I will?
I'm always going to be me;
always learning.

People like the college
forward arrow to nine to five life
because there's a template.
Living without one is hard,
which is what makes life hard for those of us who do.

We live out of the box,
so people can't put us in a mental box
to store away for later.
People love films,
because reality is scary.
That's why I'm scary.

Men don't love women;
no, men love conquest.
That's why when someone says "she's out of your league"
he has to have her,
regardless of who she is.
It's why girls who put themselves out there
get trumped over and over.

Exercise is painful,
and so is learning,
and so is walking in a new pair of shoes.
Yet here I am,
day after day,
getting a cup of coffee
and sitting in one place until I finish it.

Who really knows what is healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment