Monday, April 19, 2010

Fever Dream

Disclaimer: I have Norovirus. Ignore this post if it disturbs you.

The sky is blue and open. We are all there, on the roof, just laughing. Laughing because there is nothing better to do. Not because there is nothing good out there, but because laughing with friends and loved ones takes the cake as far as good things to do go.

One by one they leave, with various college-ey things to do, but it's okay, because you are there, and we talk on and on about everything wonderful, just as we always do.

Eventually you leave, because at some time everyone must, and I lie alone to watch the sky. I watch it, and it turns purple, like a bruise. I get to the sidewalk, and everyone is talking about a tornado. I look on the horizon, and there it is.
Obviously a tornado.
Obviously deadly.
Obviously headed straight towards campus.
Doom.

I head inside the house, and he is there. He follows me around as I frantically try to call 911 for some kind of help. No connection. And old friend calls, and I beg her to stay where she is, away from Corvallis, and to stay alive. I try to call you. No connection. I try again. A woman answers. I hear laughing voices in the background.
"Hi," she says, "We're having fun right now. He can't get to the phone."
"Please," I beg, nearing tears, "please, it's an emergency!"
She hangs up.

I pace frantically, not knowing what to do. In the living room, I see party decorations being set up. Out the window, I see the cyclone coming closer. I dial your number again. No connection. Again. This time, I hear you answer.
"Hello?"
"Hey! Oh thank God!" I reply.
You start to say more, but it gets quieter and quieter until I hear nothing.
"I don't know if you can hear me," I start, the tears flowing now, "but please, we are in danger. Look at the storm and get to somewhere safe." I am sobbing now. "Please, please," I beg in hysterics, "please don't die."

Nothing.

I overhear the head of the house and some of the snobbier girls talking.
"What is this party about?"
"We've got to distract the girls, so they don't know what's going to happen."
"Right. I'll get the music started."

Girls come downstairs, all dressed up and start to dance. Beats from the bass pound knives into my brain. I collapse, helpless.

He turns my head up and tries to dry my tears. I don't let him. He says "you keep begging people not to die, but I won't. I will never die. I will never leave you."

Of course I don't believe him, so he leaves.

Oh, well, I think. I might as well go get ready, so I head upstaris to put on my dancing dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment