Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Utopia

I've been reading a lot of stories about utopia, and I'm wondering if, what if, our society magically turned into one? People never read stories that have no conflict, if there are any out there. They wouldn't be beliveable or accepted. Why? The sad truth is that nobody will accept the fact that there is true happiness, because people find happiness either stupid or booring.
My friend Baine has a sticker on his guitar case that says "If you're not enraged, you're not paying attention." I'm not saying that I disagree, but isn't it true that a lot of us look at people who are peachy keane with the world and assume that they are just too dense to see the horror in the world?
Also, think about it. If everything is fine, humans don't know what to do with themselves. I was accused recently of not being able to relax because I would just come up with something new to stress about, just for a sense of normalcy. It's kind of true. Have you ever just taken a day, two, or three without thinking of something upsetting? I've also found in myself and in others the constant mistrust of homeostasis, let alone euphoria alltogether. When everything is fine and dandy, we wait on our haunches for the other shoe to drop. I know I for one am extrordinarilly guilty of this. I don't trust this "peace" thing, and as for rejoicing? That's right out!
It's all a bit sick, really. It's just a commonplace conception that a utopia cannot be there without some kind of horror. I partially believe that. Everyone has monsters in their heads, yet I am beginning to question why there must be darkness to be light. Do we create evil just to make happiness possible? If that's so, what would happen if all the evil went away? What would we do? How long would unceacing joy last before someone snapped and broke it up with something terrible just because he/she couldn't handle the joy? Would everyone be on edge, just knowing that it will end? Would we end it just to make things right?
This is, indeed, a most intriguing paradox.

No comments:

Post a Comment